3/04/2009

Naomi & Ely


So there I am on the bus coming home from work last night.  I'm catching the glare of all the lights on Sunset Blvd, squinting at the black words on the white page.  I have music blaring in my ears, trying to ignore the heaps of craziness that ride the bus in Los Angeles at nine on weeknights and all of a sudden, my eyes are welling up.  Holy shit!  I think to myself, I'm about to start crying.  The book I'm reading, Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List, is seriously tugging at the strings in my heart I'd forgotten about.

Not a sequel, but a follow up to Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, I expected somewhat of the same kind of book for Naomi & Ely and was instead given this gift of reexamining modern relationships, be them romantic, friendships, or simply acquaintanceships.  Naomi & Ely not only explores some of the devastation of youthful naivety, but also the tender exhilaration of real and true closeness.  

It hurts just as bad, if not worse, when you break up with your friends, but the proverbial make-up sex is a million times better when you get back together with them.  I seriously loved this book, so much so that I'm pretty sure I'm going to read it again, and again, and again.

Happy Reading,
Julia

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Great post, Julia. Thanks for sharing- you're making me want to read this one, too! I am in trouble- everyone has great recommendations for reading on my trip. I'm going to have a bag full of books and no clothes. Yikes!

Keep posting- they are awesome.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to read this one! I've ordered it in to my store! I've just started If I Stay, but this is next in line! I never know what to read w/o your blog since I don't see you at work everyday anymore!!
THANK YOU! miss you!