5/21/2009

Sitting Shiva

So I'm going to dangle a little bait because this book doesn't come out until August 6th.  I want everyone to take note of it though because I can't get it out of my head.  

Jonathan Tropper's new book, This Is Where I Leave You, is an absolutely stunning achievement.  The premise is simple; a father dies and the family, who is only vaguely Jewish is made to sit shiva as per the father's dying request.  The hitch of course, is that, like most families, this family cannot stand each other for more than a few hours.  

Of course hilarity ensues.  But Tropper brings a tenderness to the Foxman family that permeates even the most humorous scenes.  The Foxman's have a past, they harbor grudges and hurts, they are petty and deep and beautiful.  Each character finds a way, even when they are at their most self-righteous, their most shallow, and their most spiteful there is an inherent lovability in each character.  The people that you should hate the most, rip at heartstrings in the end.

This Is Where I Leave You is an absolutely engrossing read.  Study that picture in the corner and remember it for August...I guess this is where I leave you.

Happy Reading,
Julia

1 comment:

M. Rose said...

I just saw an advertisement for this book and thought, "Gosh! Where the hell have I seen this?! All I know is that I want to read it!" I went back to your blog and found this post! Now, I probably have the worst memory in the world (just ask Scott if you don't believe me) but your writing was not only memorable but influential!! Thanks for writing!

-Madalynn