12/05/2008

Punk Rock Oeuvre, Part 2


Stephanie Kuehnert's I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone, like the other books in this 'series' transcends the Young Adult section that it is usually relegated to.  In my opinion, a book that deals with sex, drugs and rock & roll in an adult fashion, even if the book is about a teenager, should be in the regular fiction section, but that's just me.  

I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone combines beautiful, seemingly effortless writing with gritty reality.  It portrays a version of life that is less than ideal, but wholly realistic.  From the less than romantic way the protagonist, Emily Black, looses her virginity to her search for her long lost mother, Kuehnert's writing captures the more somber side of growing up, the emptiness and the loneliness.  The music is what brings Emily back from the dark abyss.  And the saving power of music comes through Emily's journey into adulthood.  

This one took me completely by surprise and made me mourn the fact that I wasn't able to read it as a young punk girl who's only hope was music and books.

Happy Reading,
Julia

No comments: