11/20/2008

Douchebaggery


One of my favorite events ever was the Hot Chicks with Douchebags event with Jay Louis.  At first, I admit, I was a little nervous, just the title of the book itself was enough to set my heart asunder.  At first I thought that it was a how to book about how to get hot chicks, then I thought the author would fit into the latter category of the book; even looking through the book beforehand I didn't know how to take it and I had no idea it was a website.  

But I sat and listened to the lecture that Jay gave and throughout the half-hour or so, as he spoke, my preconceived notions turned around.  Not only did Jay talk of the inherent feminism in his blog and book, but he also talked of the socio-economic principles that guided this group of people, the actual trouble it was causing for the douchebags and their hot chicks, and the ramifications on society as a whole.  I must say, it was the biggest turn around in my own judgement on something that I have ever experienced.

So I open my email today and there on my bookseller news email that comes like clockwork, I see this.  Jay and Simon & Schuster are being sued by one of the 'douchebags' for libel.  I'll refrain from commenting on my opinion so that Book Soup doesn't get sued, but I must say that Jay's plight is one that I believe to be largely misunderstood.  Sure the website is funny, but there are deeper issues happening underneath it that need to be discussed.  

Happy Reading,
Julia 

No comments: